Work Sponsored Visa – Buisiness Sponsor Temporary (Long Stay) 457 Visa


On a work sponsored visa (Temporary Business Sponsor Visa (long stay) Sub Class 457 you can work in Australia from 3 months up to 4 years.

You can also bring bring any eligible secondary applicants with you to Australia.

They can work or study during their stay with no limit on the number of times they travel in and out of Australia.

The 457 sponsored business Visa has been a popular way for skilled workers (who may not have the necessary points for a skilled visa) to work in Australia.

Although there are restrictions with this Visa it is a popular way to move over to Oz.


***To qualify for a Work Sponsored Visa you must be employed by the business you will be working for. ***

In order to sponsor you the business will first need to obtain sponsorship approval.

The sponsorship process for a work sponsored visa requries the business providing the sponsorship to:-

  • Show the benefits of recruiting an overseas employee
  • They are of good standing
  • They can provide adequate training plans and expenditure.
  • The nomination relates to an occupation that meets a minimum skills threshold covering managerial, professional, associate professional and trade occupations.
  • The person they are sponsoring on the work sponsored visa can demonstrate that they have the skills and qualifications applicable to the nominated occupation.The overseas skilled employee that is nominated must apply for the visa to enter and remain in Australia.


To qualify for the Temporary Sponsored Business 457 Visa you need to

  • Be sponsored by an emoployer to fill a nominated job position
  • Have skills, qualification, experience and employment background to match the position you will be filling.
  • Be competent in English with an average band 5 over the four test components in he International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test.
  • Be eligible for any relevant licence or registration required for the position.
  • Be paid a salary in line with minimum salary requirements.
  • Continue to work in occupation the visa was issued for during your time in Australia.


Surprisingly there is no age restriction on the Temporary Work Sponsored Visa 457.

The Visa is in place for businesses to find and sponsor workers for positions they have been unable to fill using the Australian workforce.

The 457 is a temporary visa but there are options to use this as a way of obtaining a permanant visa into Australia.


As a general guide you do not need to have formal qualifications in order to apply for this Visa.

However, the qualifications you have may limit the number of years experience in your field of expertise you are required to have.

This requirement may be restricted in some occupations by the Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO).

ASCO determine the skill level and any qualification you are required to demonstrate for any particular occupation.

Of course formal qualifications will make a difference, for example:-

  • if you have a degree you would only be required to demonstrate a minimum of one years experience in your nominated position.
  • If you are educated to Diploma or Certificate level minimum years of experience would be 2-3 years.
  • With no formal qualifications you are required to have a minimum if 5 years experience supported by references.


  1. Can I apply for this Visa while I am in Australia?
  2. How much can I expect to earn? You should be paid in line or above the Minimum Salary Level (MSL) or Award for your position, whichever is the higher.
  3. Does it matter what nationality is?
    There is no restriction on nationality with this visa.
  4. Can I change employer once I am working in Australia?
  5. Can I stay longer than 4 years in Australia?
    Yes you can but you MUST apply for another visa before the one you have expires. If you wish to remain on a 457 visa you will need

    • to be nominated by an approved sponsor.
    • The approved sponsor can be the company you are currently working for, or it could be another company (if it is another company then you will need to recieve written authority from the department allowing you to do so.
    • If your visa is expiring and you don’t receive an offer of employment or the new employer is not an approved sponsor, your visa may be cancelled and you may be required to leave Australia immediately.
  6. What if my employer has no more work for me yet I still have time to run on my visa? Before you can change employer you first need authority from the department of immigration.
    • Your visa does not allow you to change your employer without prior department authorisation.
    • Should your employment finish early then should make arrangements to leave Australia without delay.
  7. I am on a temporary business sponsored visa and I have already started to work for another employer, what should I do?If you have already changed employer or occupation without permission, you should contact the department’s immediately to discuss the matter.
    • Your visa does not allow you to change employer or occupation without prior authority from the Department.
    • The prospective employer will be required to be an approved sponsor and the new position must be skilled.
  8. Can I become a permanent resident of Australia?Yes you may be in a position to become a permanent resident if you qualify for and successfully apply for a permanent resident visa