AM I ELIGIBLE FOR THE
FIRST TIME HOME BUYERS GRANT
The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is something that as a new migrant buying your first home in Perth you will probably be entitled to.
WHAT TYPE OF DWELLING QUALIFIES FOR THE GRANT?
Single Dwelling, Duplex, Flat, Townhouse etc….. any dwelling that is suitable as a residence. It MUST be conected through the land to water and sewerage services. Therefore a houseboat or caravan are not eligible.
The FHOG is not available for renovations to an existing building or for the purchase of vacant land.
WHAT IS THE ELIBIBILITY CRITERIA?
To be eligible for the FHOG,
- One of the applicants needs to be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia.
- None of the applicants can have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia.
- Applicants must occupy the home purchased as thier principle place of residence.
DOES MY INCOME AFFECT THE GRANT?
The grant is not means tested. Your income will not be taken into account when you apply for the FHOG.
WHAT EVIDENCE DO I NEED TO PROVIDE?
When you submit your application you will need to provide the following documentary evidence to establish your eligibility
- If you where born in Australia – a certified copy of your birth certificate or Australian Passport
- If you are a Naturalised Australian – a copy of your Certificate of Australian Citizenship or Australian Passport
- If you are a permanent resident – a copy of your Permanent Resident Visa
You will also be required to provide
- A signed copy of the Offer and Acceptance (if you are purchasing an established home)
- A signed copy of the Building Contract (if you are contracting to have a home built)
- Evidence of the actual cost t o you and evidence confirming the home is ready for occupation (if you are an owner builder)
WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS?
If you are eligible for the grant you can use it for whatever you want to use it for. There are no conditions as to how the grant is used.
WHERE DO I GET THE APPLICATION FROM FROM?
Application forms are available by visiting the FHOG website www.firsthome.gov.au
They can also be obtained from the state revenue department or from any approved FHOG participants.
WHEN DO I LODGE THE APPLICATION?
Once a contract to buy or build a property has been made you can lodge your FHOG application.
or the foundations are laid on an owner built home, provided the application is lodged within 12 months of the completion of the transaction.
WHERE DO I LODGE THE APPLICATION?
You can lodge you application through approved FHOG participants; or Through the State Revenue Department
WHEN WILL THE GRANT BE PAID?
When lodging through the State Revenue Department the Grant will be paid:
- In respect of an established home after the applicants interest is registered on the title; and
- In respect of a contract to build or an owner builder, after the date the home is available for occupation.
When lodging through an Approved FHOG Participant the Grant will be paid:
- In respect of an established home on or after the settlement date;
- In respect of a comprehensive building contract, on or after the final progress payment; and
- In respect of an owner built home, on or after the date the property is ready for occupation.
An Approved FHOG Participant is a body (usually a financial institution) that has an arrangement with the Commissioner to received and process applications.
Return from the First Home Owners Grant back to the Home Page